2013-01-26

If you do it right the first time...

...then you don't piss off the neighbours and have the police (by-law) called and have to re-do it.

For the last 5 years or so, the manager of my complex has been getting away with dumping the snow from our parking lot over the fence onto city property. Well, this winter one of the neighbours across the green area decided they had had enough (I guess) and called by-law.



The fence is about 5 feet tall and the lot is about 500 feet long.... do you blame them? And these were taken after our big melt from last week.

By-law had to come twice...the first time the boss ignored my message from them, so the second time, I told them to go ahead and write out a fine as that would be the only way to get action on the problem. I was told that it wouldn't just be a fine, it would be mandatory court appearance and the city would remove the snow and then bill the apartment complex for the job...the court would then assign whatever fine they saw fit on top of that.


Friday afternoon...


Friday evening...


Saturday morning...


small pile

large pile

hopefully happy homeowners

I am glad the boss decided to act on the message I had left her.  Apparently though not without first walking around the neighbourhood and calling by-law officers about the homes and what she perceived as violations of the same by-law. Sigh!

By the same token...it is snow, it will melt!


Thanks for looking and letting me vent.




18 comments:

  1. I can't think what to say, as I'm alternating between being horrified and amused. Thank you for the documentary.

    Mary Anne in Kentucky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I know, it is a silly thing, but, the law is the law. Amazingly we have not had a whole lot of snow this year either!

      Delete
  2. Like Mary Anne, part of me wants to laugh at people who do this kind of thing, and part of me wants to fuss at them for getting themselves into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Messymimi, it is just one of the amusing/frustrating things that she does on a regular basis.

      Delete
  3. Sad that this is the only way to get some folk to comply.
    That really is a hell of a pile of snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leah, she lives in a world of her own sometimes. It really is!

      Delete
  4. The snow sure does pile up! Usually when people go into denial and toss things over a fence, the fence is actually a wall and you can't see the evidence staring at you every day. This is the first time I've heard "by-law" officers, very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, it sure does - I figure that is about 10 feet high. By-law officers deal with city by-laws only, city police deal with the Criminal Code & Hwy Traffic Act violations.

      Delete
  5. All this is so foreign and intriguing to me! The snow piles, the by-law officers...

    Hmm, sounds like following a group of By-law officers would make a great sitcom, if there isn't already one like that. Thanks for the descriptions and pictures!

    ---Crabby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I want this sitcom!

      Mary Anne in Kentucky

      Delete
    2. Jan, you miss out on so much when you don't have all 4 seasons! :)

      As for the By-law officers, I think the job they do is pretty much parking tickets. Now, the shit that my boss tries to get away with...that would be funny!

      Delete
  6. I agree with Mary Anne & Crabby, this would be funny television! Of course, it's only funny because I'm not the one who had to deal with it...
    It's amazing how snow can be so beautiful to start with, and then when it gets piled up, it turns ugly.

    We've got a natural area behind our house, and occasionally people think they can dump stuff there. I've been suspicious any time I see someone loading up piles of yard waste and brush and then driving down the alley. I'd hate to have the wildflowers have to compete with pumpkins and other squash/decorative gourds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I find it funny too. I am just glad I don't have to deliver the news to my boss in person...'cause I would find it so hard not to laugh at her. :)

      I don't blame you for being suspicious. People are lazy and will try to get away with anything.

      Delete
  7. there's a small creek at the end of my road, I have chased so many people away who thought it was a good place to dump things
    I'm trying to get the township to install a camera. You can't get out of the street without your plate being filmed

    thanks for sharing the great snow wars of 2013 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dianne, good luck getting a camera there, people will try to get away with whatever they can to avoid dumping fees, or just to avoid going further than necessary.

      Delete
  8. Hahaha. Snow Wars. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I thought it was pretty silly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah.. people are a hoot. But your boss did know better. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete